Travel Tax Rate for Tourists, OFWs and OFW Dependants

Now that you have decided to travel abroad, you might ask how much will you pay for travel tax. Anyway, what is travel tax and why should you pay for it? Below is the explanation:


 Under Presidential Decree (PD) No. 1183, as amended by PD 1205, Batas Pambansa 38, 
and Executive Order 283, Filipinos and other nationals traveling to other countries are 
required to pay travel tax before departure from the Philippines, irrespective of the place 
where the air ticket is issued and the form or place of payment. 

Who are required to pay travel tax before departing any of the International Airport in the Philippines? 

 The following individuals are required to pay travel tax: 
1. Filipino nationals 
2. Permanent resident aliens 
3. Non-resident aliens who have stayed in the Philippines for more than one (1) year 

Is there any exemptions?

 The following Filipino citizens are exempted from the payment of travel tax pursuant to 
Sec. 2 of PD 1183, as amended: 
1. Overseas Filipino workers 
2. Filipino permanent residents abroad whose stay in the Philippines is less than one year 
3. Infants (2 years and below)

What are the requirements for exemptions?

Requirements for Exemption 
The following are the list of documents that must be submitted for travel tax exemption 
purposes (original documents need to be presented): 
1. Overseas Filipino Workers 
 a. Valid passport 
b. Employment Certificate 
• Valid Overseas Employment Certificate (OEC) from POEA if hired through this 
agency. The OEC serves as the travel tax exemption certificate; workers do 
not need to go to PTA for exemption. 
• Certificate of Work or Employment issued by the Philippine Embassy/ 
Consulate in the place of hire or employment contract authenticated by the 
Philippine Embassy/Consulate, for those directly hired abroad 
2. Filipino Permanent Residents Abroad 
a. Copies of ID pages of passport and stamp of last arrival in Philippines 
b. Proof of permanent residence in foreign country which may, among others, be 
the official document issued by the foreign government concerned showing the 
grant of permanent resident status to the Filipino citizen 
3. Infants 
a. Photocopy of passport 
b. Certified true copy of birth certificate 

Travel Tax for OFW Dependants

In addition to the above travel tax exemptions for OFWs, there dependants can also  get special tax rate as show below:
Reduced Travel Rates 
The following citizens are eligible for reduced rates of travel taxes upon submission of 
documentary requirements (original documents to be presented):

Other Individuals Exempted from Travel Tax 

1. Foreign diplomatic representatives 
2. Employees of the United Nations or its agencies 
3. US military personnel 
4. International carrier crew 
5. Philippine Foreign Service personnel assigned abroad and their dependents 
6. Philippine government officials and employees on official travel (excluding 
government-owned and controlled corporations) 
7. Grantees of foreign government funded trips 
8. Students with approved scholarships by appropriate government agency 
9. Personnel of Philippine offices of multinational companies not engaged in business in 
the Philippines and their dependents 
10. Those authorized by the President for reasons of national interest

Travel tax primer may also be accessed at PTA’s website:

If you still don’t about this, you may contact the Philippine Tourism Authority.

For more information on travel tax please contact: 
Revenue Department 
Philippine Tourism Authority 
Rm. 117, DOT Bldg. T.M. Kalaw, Rizal Park, Manila 
Tel. Nos. (632) 525-3029 / 524-7734; 524-7141 loc. 100/ 103/ 109 
Fax No. (632) 525-2545 
E-mail Address: /

Download PDF file below

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Follow by Email